Dr Simon Ooi
Dr Simon Ooi completed his medical studies in Melbourne, after which he moved to the Gold Coast. He worked as a psychiatry and Obstetrics/Gynaecology registrar in the Gold Coast Hospital. He has also worked in rural Queensland, and sexual health and AODS clinics.
Dr Ooi enjoys getting to know his patients so that he can personalise their treatment.
Dr Ooi has done additional studies (FPSST with the RACGP) and is a qualified medical psychotherapist. He is up to date with the medications for mental illnesses and will prescribe, if necessary, after a full assessment of the patient.
The psychotherapy services offered include:
- Psycho-education (including motivational interviewing)
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy including: Behavioural interventions – Behaviour modification – Exposure techniques – Activity scheduling – Cognitive interventions – Cognitive therapy
- Relaxation strategies – Progressive muscle relaxation – Controlled breathing
- Skills training – Problem solving skills and training – Anger management – Social skills training – Communication training – Relationship counselling – Stress management – Parent management training
- Interpersonal therapy – couple and marriage counselling
A Mental Health Care Plan from your GP is not required but recommended.
Dr Simon Ooi is offering telehealth, and face-to-face consultations (on Thursday mornings). To be eligible for a Medicare rebate for telehealth, you have to be an existing patient of the practice, that is, you have had a face-to-face consultation with any of the doctors at this clinic within the last 12 months.
Prevention and Management of Chronic Illnesses
Note: Dr Simon is currently only offering telehealth appointments on his working days.